21 Day Racial Equity Challenge
On Sunday, June 7, our Pastor Whit Malone invited us to engage in a “21 Day Racial Equity Challenge.” The goal of those 21 days was to listen, to learn, and to grow. Many of us have been growing in our understanding of racism for years. Others of us are newer to the conversation. The resources offered in this challenge are intended to expose all of us to the challenges before us as a church and nation. We are aware that this is only a starting point and that concrete actions must be taken for real change to occur. Yet, we must start somewhere.
In addition to the items listed below, we have compiled further resources to WATCH, LISTEN and READ. Find comprehensive list HERE which includes links.
- Birth of A White Nation, Jacqueline Battalora (37 mins) WATCH HERE
- MLK in Montreat 1965 4 episodes (15 min each)
- Episode 1 WATCH HERE
- Episode 2 WATCH HERE
- Episode 3 WATCH HERE
- Episode 4 WATCH HERE
- Hair Love: Oscar winning animated short film. Kids & Adults will Enjoy! (7 mins) WATCH HERE
- Who Gets to Be Afraid in America? The Atlantic, Ibram X. Kendi READ HERE
- When Whites Just Don’t Get It, Impact America, Nicholas Kristof (1-7 articles) READ HERE
- Project 1619, New York Times READ HERE
- Between the World and Me, Ta-Nehisi Coates FIND BOOK HERE
- Talking to Strangers, Malcolm Gladwell FIND BOOK HERE
- I’m Still Here, Austin Channing Brown FIND BOOK HERE
- We’re Different, We’re the Same, Sesame Street Kids Book FIND BOOK HERE
- NPR: Patent Racism: How racism has held back not only the creations of black inventors, but in the process has limited the entire economy as well (25 mins) LISTEN HERE
- Attached is a very comprehensive list of books, films, speeches, podcasts and music that was compiled by Candace Howze, a young NC based writer and artist who is also a UNC graduate. ACCESS LIST HERE
JUNE 28- JULY 4: Each day this week, choose one item to WATCH, READ or LISTEN to. We have provided 9 options for 7 days. Feel free to do all 9. All resources compiled are from trusted sources. However, we have not read, listened or watched everything in its entirety.
- How Can Blacks and Whites Stand Together on Racial Injustice-The Gospel Coalition (13 mins) WATCH HERE
- Let’s Get to the Root of Racial Injustice – Megan Ming Francis (19 mins) WATCH HERE
- Church of the Resurrection, Tuesday Evening Vespers with Adam Hamilton, Tino Herrea, Daryl Barton, Cheryl Ball (27 mins) WATCH HERE
- Black Like Me – Podcast Series by Dr. Alex Gee 4 Seasons with multiple Podcasts. LINK TO ALL SEASONS HERE. We have selected a few for this weeks listening below.
- A Former Black Cop’s Perspective on Police Reform: A Conversation with Corey Saffold Season 4 Episode 99 LISTEN HERE
- Can Blacks and Asians Unite to Overcome the racism Uncovered by Covid-19 Season 4 Episode 95 LISTEN HERE
- Wrestling with White Privilege: Kyle Korver of the NBA Milwaukee Bucks on Vulnerability in Sharing your Story Season 4 Episode 92 LISTEN HERE
JUNE 21-27: Each day this week, choose one item to WATCH, READ or LISTEN to. We have provided 10 options for 7 days. Feel free to do all 10. All resources compiled are from trusted sources. However, we have not read, listened or watched everything in its entirety.
- TED Talk, The Danger of A Single Story, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (18 mins) WATCH HERE
- Sermon, Rev. Dr. Rodger Nishioka, I Just See People (26 mins) WATCH HERE
- 50 years of Racism—Why Silence Isn’t the Answer, James A. White Sr. (15 mins) WATCH HERE
Holy Post – Race in America – by Phil Vischer. (17 mins) WATCH HERE
To Be In A Rage Almost All the Time (34 mins) LISTEN HERE
TED Radio Hour: with Mary Bassett, How Does Racism Affect Your Health? (12 mins) LISTEN HERE
- NPR: You Cannot Divorce Race from Immigration (6mins) LISTEN HERE
JUNE 14-20: Each day this week, choose one item to WATCH, READ or LISTEN to. We have provided 9 options for 7 days. Feel free to do all 9. All resources compiled are from trusted sources. However, we have not read, listened or watched everything in its entirety.
- How to Overcome our Biases? Walk Boldly Toward Them TED Talk, Verna Myers (19 mins) WATCH HERE
- TED Talk, How to Deconstruct Racism, One Headline at a Time, Baratunde Thurston (16 mins) WATCH HERE
- A Call for Change, Rev, Dr. J. Herbert Nelson, Stated Clerk of General Assembly, PC(USA) (8 mins) WATCH HERE
- NPR’s History Podcast ‘Throughline’ Explores Policing in America (7 min synopsis) LISTEN HERE. For the full episode that is about an hour (67 mins), LISTEN HERE.
- Here & Now: Without Slavery, Would the U.S. Be the Leading Economic Power? (15 mins) LISTEN HERE
- The Trauma of Being Black in America (48 mins) LISTEN HERE
Want to get your Children Involved?